Friday, April 29, 2011

Azucar

I want to just say that I am sorry for not posting as usual, since April was a very busy month for me. For this month I will only be able to put one review, but do not fear, I will have more reviews next month. So lets eat...
When I think of Cuba, I think of Fidel Castro and Cuban cigars. Then I went to this cafe, that opened my eyes to Cuban cuisine. At 4820 Newport Avenue San Diego, CA 92107, AzĂșcar is the perfect place to start off with Cuban cuisine. It is all about Cuban specialities, especially pastries. This cafe is all about pastries, but they also serve sandwiches for a nice light lunch. As Vivian (the creator of Azucar) noticed, San Diego needs “more tropical style desserts.” She infused Cuban food with her European training to create fresh, fantastic desserts.

The first thing I had was Pastelito de Guayaba y Queso ($1.75). The pastry was soft and had a fluffy and flaky texture to it. The pastry was so airy, it was so puffy. This pastry was all Cuban with ingredients of cream cheese (the Queso) and guava (Guayaba). The combination of the guava and cream cheese had a complete taste, both sweet and creamy. The pastry was given to me warmed up which added the experience of all the senses.


The next thing that I had was candy with a twist. The Hard Chocolate Sea Salt ($0.50) was hard, stretchy and HAD salt. The thing is that when you add salt to a sweet treat, the salt enhances the flavor. The actual flavor was chocolate  with a caramel taste. These flavors are then heighten by the salt topped on the candy.

This restaurant is truly a unique place to eat and enjoy some  good food. What is really amazing is that the pastries cost about the same amount at Starbucks, but they are fresh and baked daily. If you love pastries, you will definitely enjoy Azucar.

Taste: 5/5
Quality: 5/5
Service: 4/5
Overall: Excellent
Critic: Joshua Villalpando
Editor: Mikery Hatfield


View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh delicious. Pastries are generally appealing, but when they warm up it seems to make them automatically much more tasty. :D

    ReplyDelete